Exterior Hagia Sophia

Buttresses

Buttresses of Hagia Sophia

Four buttresses on the west side of Hagia Sophia were built after the Latin occupation in the 13th century in Constantinople. The other ones on the east & north sides were built by Andronicus II in 1317.

After the conquest of Constantinople, Mimar Sinan also added buttresses and minarets to support the structure.

 

About the author

hagiasophiatr

Hagia Sophia Research Team (HSRT) consists of a group of people who likes to research Byzantine Heritage in Turkey by visiting and taking photos of the historical places.

Leave a Comment