Around the Pantocrator mosaic from the 9th century which was on the central dome ‘’the Seraphim’’ are depicted in red. Also known as cherubim or cherub, in Hebrew, Seraphim means ‘’the burning ones’’ because of their closeness to the throne of God. They were the guard of the main image- Christ on the dome. Although Fossatis uncovered and made a copy of them on their notebooks, they have remained for centuries on the condition of covering their faces.
Their faces were covered with stars in 1609 in the reign of Ottoman Sultan Ahmed and remained so until 2009.
The angels have 6 wings; 2 covering the feet, 2 covering the face and 2 outstretched, ready to fly. The seraphims on the east side are original while the others are just painted copies.